January 22, 2022
After a joint announcement between the presidents of Colombia and Ecuador on December 18th, 2021, the two countries agreed to reopen their shared border with new and robust health security protocols.
After a trial period, the two governments are keeping the border open while they study the impact on their healthcare systems.
Regular vehicular traffic is permitted crossing the land border between Colombia and Ecuador, including for tourism purposes.
Due to the new Omicron COVID-19 variant, Ecuador has closed entrance to travelers whose travel originated or visited South Africa, Namibia, Lesotho, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Eswatini, Mozambique, and Egypt.
1. A negative RT-PCR test (a nasal swab test) taken no more than 72 hours before the border crossing. See a list of testing centers here. If you are using our shared shuttle service to cross the border that operates only on Thursdays, your test should be taken no earlier than 1:00 PM on the prior Monday (unless you are arranging for a private reservation where you charter an entire vehicle for yourself or your group), AND
2. A vaccination card showing the traveler has received a complete series of the COVID-19 vaccine (boosters not required) at least 14 days before your border crossing, AND
3. For travelers entering Ecuador, a signed declaration of traveler health that you submit online here in advance of your border crossing.
4. For travelers entering Colombia, a signed declaration of traveler heath that you submit online here in advance of your border crossing.
We have provided an easy, step-by-step process to help you determine your own state of readiness and which transportation options will be best for you or your group.
The best price point is on Thursdays when we have regularly scheduled trips planned to pick up qualified travelers at the border. These are shared trips so you would be sharing the ride with other travelers, with prices ranging from $71 to $154 per person depending on what portion of the distance between Bogota and Quito you require transportation.
For trips on any other day of the week (except major holidays, which we do not serve), the shuttle service is considered a private shuttle arrangement reserved exclusively for you and your immediate family. Therefore the price we would offer would be for the entire vehicle and for your itinerary to whatever destination you desire. We would send this quote to you once you complete the reservation process.
This is just a partial list. You can also ask your hotel receptionist where most of their international guests go to get tested.
Free testing centers. Bogota offers free test centers in different locations.
Clina Los Nogales. Results arrive in 24 hours.
Colcan Sede Bogota. Call for more information.
Synlab Colombia. Results arrive in 24 hours.
Christus Sinergia Salud. Results arrive as early as 4 hours.
Colcan Sede Cali. Call for more information.
Clinica Nueva Cali. Schedule your test at least 7 days in advance during high season (November-December, April-August).
Hospital Civil Ipiales. Call them to confirm the approximate delivery of test results.
Laboratorio de Patologia de Monica Arcos. Call +57 316 6226703 to obtain more information.
Cooemssanar IPS Ipiales. Call +57 1 7731131 to obtain more information.
ECUADOR : Ibarra
Laboratorio Clinico Meissen. Call +593 062-606-718 to obtain more information.
ECUADOR : Otavalo
Hospital San Luis de Otavalo. Ask at the main desk for information regarding COVID-19 testing.
ECUADOR : Quito
Synlab Ecuador. Results arrive between 12 and 24 hours based on the case.
Ecuamerican. Results arrive in 24 hours.
VozAndes Hospital. Results arrive in 24 hours.
Border-Crossing Kit ($8.89)
Our Border-Crossing Kit is an extensive 72-page e-book that is constantly updated and includes:
- A detailed list of requirements you need to gather in order to obtain the permit to cross the border.
- Forms and affidavits required for submission to various authorities.
- Tips and context on how to better understand the processes involved so they end up less confusing.
- Quizzes and exercises to help ensure you have comprehended the requirements.
Legal Assistance Package ($99)
For more complicated legal migration situations, get a brief legal consultation as well as administrative assistance preparing the forms and other paperwork required. Upon exhausting the package, you can still upgrade for more continuous legal and administrative services.
If you are trying to drive your own vehicle across the border, this is not currently allowed except for authorized cargo delivery. However, consult these websites (in Spanish) to see if you might be able to ship your vehicle separately or for other questions about goods that require customs duties and inspection.
Check out our other sites: